About the Book: Overcoming Dyslexia
For Everyone Who Struggles to Read!
Clear, practical, science-based information and advice for successful results.
One in five American children has trouble reading. But they are not stupid or lazy. In Overcoming Dyslexia, Dr. Sally Shaywitz, co-director of the Yale Center for Dyslexia & Creativity, offers the latest information about reading problems and proven, practical techniques that, along with hard work and the right help, can enable anyone to overcome them. Here are the tools that parents and teachers need to help the dyslexic child, age by age, grade by grade, step by step.
- What dyslexia is and why some intelligent, gifted people read slowly and painfully
- How to identify dyslexia in preschoolers, schoolchildren, young adults, and adults
- How to find the best school and how to work productively with your child’s teacher
- Exercises to help children use the parts of the brain that control reading
- A 20-minute nightly home program to enhance reading
- The 150 most common problem words—a list that can give your child a headstart
- Ways to raise and preserve a child’s self-esteem and reveal his strengths
- Stories of successful men and women who are dyslexic
Click here to learn more and purchase the book.
Jacket copy and cover image courtesy of Random House, Inc.